Happy Monday everyone. I wanted to share some items that I like to keep in my pantry on a semi regular basis. I will switch things up every now and then, but some of these items will almost always be around. This will probably span a few blog posts, much like my super foods posts. There are a lot of healthy items I like playing with. Let me know some of the items you guys use in the comment section.
1. Coconut Oil – This healthy fat has so many uses in the kitchen. Heather and I will almost always put a tablespoon of it in our shakes in the morning. She will use it in her tea, and I love using it in many dishes. It is probably one of the healthiest oils to cook with and is great in curries, seafood, and chicken. You can also simply use the same coconut oil on your skin, your hair, as a natural moisturizer.
There are also a ton of health benefits to consuming coconut oil. This saturated fat can help curb hunger, aid in proper digestion, and has antibacterial properties too. Coconut oil is great for your immune system as it contains antioxidants as well.
2. Organic Tomato Sauce – Really good quality jarred tomato sauce is perfect for when you want to whip up a quick dinner and don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen slaving away over a hot stove. It’s just so easy to bake up some chicken breasts, and top it with some organic tomato sauce and finish it in the oven for an easy simple chicken parmesan. I always like having a jar ready to go in case Heather and I are craving pasta one day, or if we just don’t feel like cooking. I bet you are shocked to hear that I don’t like cooking some days! It’s just nice to get a break every once in a while, knowing I can still have a healthy dinner.
3. Nut Butters – Most of the time, Heather and I always have organic peanut butter in our pantry. We use it in our protein shakes, with pita bread, or even on celery with some raisins. I know what you are thinking, “so Matt went to culinary school and has been cooking for 13 years, and he makes ants on a log!” Let’s be honest, it’s a healthy snack that I ate a lot as a kid, and still do now! There are so many other varieties of butters out there. By clicking on the picture you will find basically all kinds of nuts have been made into some kind of butter. I highly recommend trying some different kinds and see what you think. One of my favorite would be almond butter.
4. Rice Pasta – Heather and I are big pasta people. Recently since cooking out at the Edge School for Athletes, I have found that a lot of kids are on a gluten free diet. I know the kids need their carbohydrates as they train hard all day in their sports. Rice pasta tastes so good, and is an awesome substitute for regular white pasta. I have been eating a lot more of it lately. There are a lot of vitamins and minerals in these types of pastas.
5. Omega 3 Oil – This is another item that is perfect in our morning protein shakes. One of the things I particularly like about the Udo’s oil, is that it is vegan. There is no fish oil in this blend, and so has no taste to it. I often take omega 3 pills and all I ever taste is that fish taste in my mouth after a while. The Udo’s oil is such a better option. This oil is also perfect for adding in to a pasta sauce, or anything you want to enrich with omega 3’s. Just make sure that you never cook with this oil as it breaks down way too fast. It’s meant to be added in as a finished product, into a protein shake, or on top of a salad. Omega 3’s are great for your immune system, central nervous system, and can help with inflammation.
These are just a few of the items I like to use to help with living a healthier life. What kind of items do you have in your pantry? Stay tuned for part 2 soon.