It’s round two of a delicious recipe from ingredients I purchased at the Calgary Farmers Market. I was especially excited for this grilled bison salad with a Saskatoon berry vinaigrette, because it combines two of my favorite flavors.
I’m going to start with the Saskatoon Berry Farm. This place is so amazing. It’s located just in between Calgary and Okotoks, and Heather and I almost got married here! Of course they have a spot at the market and I just couldn’t resist creating a delicious salad dressing with their awesome Saskatoon berries. It is the title of their farm after all!
They have all sorts of things you can purchase there. We’ve bought flowers, small trees, and their rice pudding from their cafe is so amazing. Heather and I are obsessed with it. Their spot in the Calgary Farmers Market has some produce, really unique retail items, and of course, Saskatoon berry pie!
The next lovely vendor I am happy to be working with on this post is Olson’s Highcountry Bison. They have some of the best bison I have ever tasted. Their meat is 100% natural, raised without the use of hormones, or antibiotics, and the bison are free to roam in a stress free environment. The ranch has been around since 1992, and I am guessing has no plans to go anywhere anytime soon. I love the way they promote this sustainable style of raising high quality bison, and the meat has so much flavor.
Bison is also such a healthy cut of meat. It has some of the highest levels of protein, as well as high in iron. If you are a guy that works out a lot and needs to eat a lot of protein, this animal is the way to go! Especially after you try this salad recipe!
Now, on to this amazing recipe. The vinaigrette itself only has 5 ingredients, and can keep in your refrigerator for a couple weeks. The bison you will need to be careful not to overcook, as because it is so lean it can dry out. The sirloin steaks I got from Olsen’s were so tender and flavorful! I cooked them medium rare, I suggest you do the same.
The only other thing I added into the salad, was some spring mix, kale, Saskatoon berries (naturally), and some awesome organic tomatoes from Mann’s Organic, but feel free to put any kind of vegetables in there you like!
- ½ cup of Saskatoon berries
- 2 Tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of natural honey
- ½ teaspoon of chopped thyme, fresh
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2, 4-5 oz bison steaks
- steak spice, salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for grilling
- For the dressing, blend all of the ingredients together except for the oil in a food processor, slowly emulsify the oil into the dressing. You may need to add a teaspoon of water to thin the dressing out a bit if needed. Season with salt and pepper, store in the refrigerator.
- Season the steaks well, and preheat your barbecue to medium high heat. Spray the grill with oil and grill the steaks to your preferred doneness. Don't forget to quarter turn the steaks to get those nice fancy grill marks.
- Let the steak rest for a few minutes before slicing. Slice the steak and place on your salad and drizzle the Saskatoon berry vinaigrette on top. Feel free to add any vegetables or fruit you wish.
As you can see, the Calgary Farmers Market, has so many great vendors, and so far I’ve only featured 4! Stay tuned for more exciting fresh ingredients and recipes from here.