This combination of grilling and stuffing things is something I could get used to. Grilling zucchini is delicious. Stuffing the zucchini with brown butter cottage cheese and garlic was even more awesome. Grilling it up for Heathers family and one of my good friends Curtis was the icing on the cake. A lot of these grilled vegetable dishes are meant to be easy and simple. Sometimes though, the professional chef in me just wants to burst out and all of a sudden I am using an apple corer on zucchini, and stuffing it with deliciousness. The beauty about grilling this zucchini whole is that it’s like grilling a cob of corn. I simply just rotate the whole stuffed zucchini, nothing falls out, and it cooks in under 20 minutes. The key to making sure the stuffing doesn’t fall out is keeping the tubes of zucchini that I made with the corer. Simply slice a 1 inch long piece, and stuff it into either end, and voila, you’re ready to grill! All I did afterwards to make the zucchini look all fancy like the top picture is save some of the warm cottage cheese filling, sliced up the zucchini, and add more of the filling on top. It looks prettier don’t you think? Finally. and possibly the tricky part of this dish is making a garlic brown butter. All I did to make this was saute my onions and garlic with olive oil. I then added the butter and cook until it reaches a slight golden brown color. I then add the juice of one lemon to stop the cooking process and pull the pot off the burner. I add in my cottage cheese, season with salt and pepper, and wham! Deliciousness stuffed in a summer squash!
Cottage Cheese Stuffed Zucchini with Brown Butter
Author: Chef Matt
Recipe type: Grilled
Serves: 4-5 people
- 3 zucchini's, cut in half, and hollowed out with an apple corer. Keep the cored zucchini for later.
- 3 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 teaspoons of finely diced red onion
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup of cottage cheese
- the juice and zest of one lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up a small pot and saute the onions and garlic with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. One the onions are soft and the garlic is fragrant, add in the butter and cook until it reaches a light golden brown stage.
- Quickly take the pot of the burner and deglaze with the lemon juice.
- Add in the cottage cheese, and lemon zest.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the zucchinis with the filling leaving enough room to plug each end with some slices of zucchini.
- Season the outside of the squash with salt, pepper, and the rest of the olive oil.
- Grill on the barbecue until well caramelized and soft. The cottage cheese mixture shouldn't fall out.
- Slice the zucchini into 2-3 inch wedges and stuff more of the left over filling into the top. Serve.
These little guys are packed with protein from the cottage cheese, and are great for vegetarians. Grilling this zucchini was so simple, and you can easily turn it into a vegetable side that could be served at any fine dining restaurant. Bonus, it’s good for you!